Demonstrates the ability to express some ideas within the simplest of familiar contexts. Can write short messages or fill out simplified forms, but many errors in grammar, diction, spelling, and idiom. Needs frequent repetitions to comprehend sounds, words, and sentences. Can use simple sentences in writing and speaking.
General skills and abilities obtained at the end of this level
- Can understand and communicate some basic personal information
- Can understand a very limited number of common individual words, simple phrases in a predictable context and on everyday personal topics
- Can follow simple instructions, and follow greetings
- Can speak very little, mostly responding to basic questions about personal information and immediate needs
- Speaks in isolated words or very short sentences.